Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's News

Valentine's Day brought a whole new meaning this year. It is definitely one that will always be remembered.
Back story....
John had to work in Cedar Rapids, Iowa this week. He was supposed to be done late Friday and had mentioned that he wanted to just stay at my parents so he didn't have to drive home late. Instead, he brought up the idea of me meeting him at my parents in Des Moines for the weekend. I told him that if we did stay at my parents this weekend that I would have to tell them. I am horrible at secrets and it would have been written all over my face.
I talked to my parents and told them we were going to come up for a visit this weekend. They were excited that we had thought to come up over Valentine's weekend. I had thought for sure that they would catch on.
I headed up after work on Friday and John had gotten there early from Cedar Rapids. The dilemma before I left KC was, "how am I going to share the news with my parents?". I decided to take them some Boulevard Chocolate Ale and a Valentine's Day card, signed by the 3 of us. :)
Not long after arriving at my parents, I handed them their Valentine's Day treat and card. My dad took the beer and my mom took the card to read. Just the anticipation of my parents reaction was overwhelming. My mom's jaw dropped and remained opened for a good 2 minutes, then asked "is this April Fool's??". My dad took his turn reading the card and got a big grin on his face. They were obviously over the moon and beyond excited to hear our news! We spent the remainder of the evening enjoying dinner and chatting about this future grand child.
We got up and enjoyed a lazy/relaxing Valentine's morning. I enjoyed a morning coffee talk with my mom and we had a delicious brunch. John and I were about to head to the gym with my dad when we heard my mom face-timing with my oldest sister, Malia and our nieces. John and I chimed in and said hi to everyone and then he looked at me with his little grin and said, "ok, we can go ahead and tell them". So, we spilled the beans to the Howe clan. They were all over the moon! My sister exclaimed that she knew it and that she had talked to my other sister, Megan earlier and made the comment that John and I were going to our parents this weekend to share the news! :) Good guess, Aunt Malia!
We excitedly called the Widmer clan after we got home from the gym. Jack was playing in his "man cave" when I asked him if he would be willing to let a new cousin plan in his man cave soon. My sister, Megan immediately got excited and emotions got the best of us. :)  She told our nephew Jack that I was going to have a baby. Jack said, "you have a baby in your belly? I have a baby in my belly." Yes silly boy, I have a baby in my belly. My sister also asked Jack if he would share his toys with his new cousin. Jack said, "umm no, I don't think so." His reaction was too cute for words!
So, the news is out with my family and we are so happy that they are all excited!
Keep growing little minnion. Everyone loves you to pieces already!!

Baby's first Valentine. :) Some yummy baked treats from a local KC bakery, courtesy of the father-to-be.

No comments:

Post a Comment