Saturday, September 26, 2015

Date Night

John and I had one of the best date nights last night. He spent the day in Lawrence on KU's campus interviewing college students for potential jobs for his company. He had asked me earlier in the week if I wanted to meet him after work for dinner/date night. I quickly agreed and headed to Lawrence after work Friday afternoon/evening. We ended up at the "chef's table" at one of our favorite restaurants on Mass Street, "715". We first tried 715 back a few summers ago when we were in Lawrence for one of John's triathlons and had been talking about going back ever since. We normally hit up Freestate whenever we go as 715 is more of a "special occasion" type of restaurant.

Anyways.... there's a 6 barstool table that faces the kitchen where you can watch the chef and his team cook/prep all of the meals. Super neat! The kitchen typically gives those sitting at the chef's table a complimentary appetizer to start the night. John enjoyed a  nice Manhattan while I sipped my H2O. :) As we devoured the appetizer and looked over the menu, John presented me with the onesie below. Little man was definitely due for a KU onesie and it's extra special that it's picked out by his Daddy.




Dinner arrived and we were not disappointed! I got the spaghetti with fresh housemade sausage (note: they make their own pasta in house and It. Is. To. Die. For.). John got a delicious pork chop. Seriously, it was amazing. Thanks to John making me order the "large" pasta we now have a mound of left overs. It was absolutely huge!



We finished dinner feeling rather full, but that didn't stop us from trying their dessert special: Creme Brule with ginger, orange spice, candied walnuts, and pie crust. Oh. M. GEEE. I could have licked the dish when we finished it. I was skeptical when I ordered it as I'm not a huge ginger fan but, it definitely did not disappoint.



It really was the perfect dinner date. Great ambiance, amazing food, and the enjoyment of the company of each other. It was nice to unwind from the busy work week and just relax. Most conversations revolved around our baby and how we are really close to being parents and meeting our son. We feel we are as ready as we ever will be and that we are ready to take on the challenges it will bring and bask in the joy. Despite my "uptightness" at times, we really feel we are relaxed about this whole journey and that we want to "go with the flow" as much as possible, still enjoying dinners out and other social events with our babe in tow. I laughed because at one point (before we conceived) John used to think "life would be over" and all fun would end once we had a baby. But, I think he/we are realizing that it's just going to put a new twist on things and that life is really just beginning as we grow into a family of 3.

Before we left we had a pretty good laugh at the fact my baby bump barely made the cut to sit at the chef's table. :) Any bigger and we would have had to sit at a different table.

No comments:

Post a Comment