Thursday, September 8, 2016

Anniversary Weekend- Sans James

John and I just celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary over the weekend. SIX! Not sure how that is possible, but anyway. We had talked off and on whether we should take a quick weekend trip to celebrate. After much debate and hesitation on my end, John took it upon himself to just plan something and surprise me. If you recall, our honeymoon was a surprise to me, as well as a past birthday trip. He finds joy in planning something and hiding it from me until we get to the airport while heckling me about it and giving lame hints. I digress. :)




My hints prior to the trip were:


1.) It would be hot.
2.) Might rain
3.) No beach time would occur (darn!)




My two guesses as we headed to the airport were either Austin or New Orleans, with New Orleans being my #1 guess. Turns out, I was right! :) I had a feeling it would be New Orleans, so I planned my toe polish color accordingly: O.P.I.'s Cajun Shrimp!


I should note....Friday as I was home with James, he made sure to raise the bar on snuggles being super sweet all day. Laying on the mom guilt SUPER thick!









We left home about 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, but not without everything for James prepped and ready to go. I may be a tad OCD about my frozen milk. Liquid gold, people!!





Grandmommy was given the run down of an abundance of instructions and we were on our way. A few tears were shed as I read a few Anniversary cards prior to our departure.










Once we were at the airport, John gave me my boarding pass- I was right, New Orleans!! We grabbed a coffee and boarded our flight. We had a quick stop in Dallas and then we were NOLA bound.


We arrived in NOLA around lunch time. As we were almost to NOLA I discretely pumped on the plane while also finding the perfect spot for our drink mixers. Ha!





We quickly checked in to the hotel, dropped off our bags, and headed for some food. First stop, The French Market, at J's seafood where we definitely indulged in some po'boy sandwiches, soft shell crabs, and crawfish beignets. Lets not forget the refreshing mango rum punch!












We decided it would be a good idea to walk off some of our lunch. He strolled through the French quarter before ending up at Café Du Monde to grab a famous beignet and wait for the rain to pass. I could eat these delicious little pastries of goodness everyday if I was given the chance. So good!





















On a whim we ended up at NOLA Brewing Co. next. Great beer, awesome atmosphere, and fun just relaxing sharing an uninterrupted adult conversation.













Once we had our share of good beers, we headed back to the hotel so I could pump before dinner. We attempted to eat at Acme Oyster house until we discovered the line to get in wrapped around the block. So, we settled for a similar restraunt across the street, Felix's.







Both still so full from the craft beers and snacks, we shared some gator bites and shrimp and grits. Both were amazing!! Tired from our first day of travel, we called in an early night to rest up for our Sunday of fun.






Sunday morning we got up to head to a cemetery tour. I'll admit, this tour was pretty awesome. It was neat learning about the history behind the NOLA cemeteries. Very interesting!
















We thought we would continue the fun on Sunday but hitting up the NOLA Rum Distillery to do some rum sampling. We were the only ones there when it opened and got a nice one-on-one sampling run down of all of the rums, and a few extra samples. :)













Next up, back at NOLA Brewing Co. Are you seeing a pattern here? :) We had to go back to NOLA to try the food this time. We had just finished lunch before we got there on Saturday and all of the food passing us by looked AMAZING. And it was amazing. We relaxed, sampled some more beers, and had great food while waiting out another rain storm.













The fun continued as we ended up at The Blind Pelican for oyster happy hour. Yet another win on our NOLA trip. We indulged in some fresh oysters, both raw and charbroiled. Both amazing! I was skeptical about trying oysters but they did not disappoint.





 







Monday's time in NOLA would be short as we had a flight to catch home. We made a point to try a different beignet place, Café Beignet. We both agreed the beignets and ambiance was far better than Café Du Monde! For lunch we dined at Emeril's. Yet again, great food!!


We headed back to the airport both tired and stuffed with good food, anxious to see our little nugget. 

I think it's safe to say we were all happy to reunited again! Kuddos to John for taking the time to treat me/us to some time away. Although it was tough to leave James behind we truly enjoyed our time together. Until next time, NOLA!

Oh, and P.S., we definitely missed this cute face while we were gone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment